Launched in 2010, LagosPhoto is the first and only international arts festival of photography in Nigeria. In a month long festival, events include exhibitions, workshops, artist presentations, discussions and large scale outdoor prints displayed throughout the city with the aim of reclaiming public spaces and engaging the general public with multifaceted stories of Africa
As nurturers of talent, the etisalat photography competition was developed as a platform to engage and empower budding photographers using the power of digital media; online, social and mobile. Each year, a theme is created and submissions are received within a specified period. The public votes for images and top 50 images are reviewed by our judging panel. Winners are rewarded with prizes, finalists are showcased at the Lagos Photo festival.
Application Deadline: 11th September, 2016
Theme of Contest: This year’s theme is tagged Performance.
Action repeated constantly, becomes a ritual, its transference into other spaces of engagement becomes a performance. The preceding choice of each action contains an inherent risk. Charging the shutter, adjusting the lens, capturing the moment: all those movements can be considered as the rituals of photographers but beyond these obvious acts and interpretation, we wish to explore further these performances through the categories “daily routines” and “celebratory”. Through these categories, we hope to visualize the strength of photography in depicting our daily and celebratory activities and expressions.
Eligibility: Submit very exciting pictures that depict the theme ‘Performance’
The theme of ‘Performance’ is in 2 categories:
- daily routines – activities carried out by us as individuals on a daily basis. routines that are constant and significant either at our places of work, schools, parks, malls, market, home, to mention a few. all these activities are performances. so, capture the moment and submit interesting shots that can be tagged as daily routines.
- celebratory – performances that signifies celebratory human emotions and happenings across various aspects of life. Capture the moments and share the expressions
- images should depict the theme
- participants are allowed multiple entries exploring daily routines and celebratory activities
- Images must be a jpeg file. Editing/cropping via various photo editing programs/applications are acceptable.
- images must not contain inappropriate subject matter.
- images not submitted in the above mentioned manner will be disqualified from the competition.
- Etisalat and LagosPhoto retain exclusive usage rights of images submitted to this competition
- artistic creativity is highly desired
Number of Awardees: 3
Value of Contest:
- 1st Prize: Canon Camera
- 2nd Prize: Samsung Phone
- 3rd Prize: iPhone
Selection Process: The judging panel is comprised of selected members from the photography community as well as other creative individuals.
After the public voting, a selection of top 50 images for each category will be reviewed by the jury to produce a shortlist of top 5 per category. images from the shortlisted photographers will be featured at the grand opening of the 2016 LagosPhoto Festival and throughout the festival. the shortlisted photographers will also be enrolled at LagosPhoto summer school.
The top 3 finalists will be unveiled by the jury at the grand opening in October. Prizes will be awarded to the finalists at the exclusive annual LagosPhoto gala on 29th October.