The Lagos State Police Command has commenced investigation into the death of a visitor to a Chinese lounge and bar on Adeniran Ogunsanya Street, Surulere, Lagos.
The visitor, Willie Uyime, had gone to the bar in company with his friends on Saturday to have fun.
While they were drinking, PUNCH Metro learnt that Uyime unknowingly drank insecticide in a container placed on the table in front of him at the bar.
After some minutes, he reportedly started gasping and was rushed to the Randle General Hospital where he was confirmed dead.
In the course of searching for the cause of his death, it was discovered that he drank the insecticide, thinking it was water.
A police source told our correspondent that the case was reported by one of the deceased’s friends, identified as Emmanuel, around 11pm.
The source said, “Around 11pm on Saturday, Emmanuel came to the station and reported that between 9.30pm and 10pm of the same date, he went to a Chinese bar on Adeniran Ogunsanya Street, Surulere, with his friends and they were served alcoholic drinks.
“While they were discussing, they discovered that one of their friends, Willie Uyime, had started throwing up. It was suspected that he took insecticide kept beside their seat. He was rushed to the general hospital where he was confirmed dead.
“No arrest has been made. But I think the bar operators should be questioned for negligence. The fact that the deceased picked the insecticide on the table showed that it was displayed at an open place.”
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Chike Oti, confirmed the incident, adding that investigation had commenced into the case.
He said, “He visited the Chinese lounge and bar with his friends to drink. The insecticide was inside a bottled water container, so he thought he was drinking water. We are investigating the matter and the bar manager is being questioned.”