Chevening Scholarships are the UK government’s global scholarships programme. Established in 1983, these scholarships support study at UK universities – mostly one-year Masters’ degrees – for students with demonstrable potential to become future leaders, decision-makers and opinion formers.
Applications for 2018/2019 Chevening Scholarships and some Chevening Fellowships are open. Please read the information on this page carefully prior to applying. Applications for 2018/2019 Chevening Scholarships and some Chevening Fellowships close on 7 November 2017.
In order to submit your Chevening Scholarship application, it is essential that you have the following ready:
- Valid passport/national ID card
- University transcripts and degree certificates (undergraduate, postgraduate)
- Three different UK master’s course choices
You may also wish to submit the following optional documents if you already meet the requirements. You can submit your initial application without these documents, but you will have to upload them to your application by 12 July 2018:
- English language test results
- UK master’s university offer
Only documents in PDF format can be uploaded to the online application system, and documents cannot be over 5MB in size.
Please note that if you are eventually conditionally selected for a Chevening Scholarship, it is essential that you provide evidence that you meet the Chevening English language requirements and that you have at least one unconditional offer from an eligible course before 12 July 2018 in order to remain in the process.
To be eligible for a Chevening Award you must:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK.
- Have at least two years’ work experience (this may be up to five years for fellowship programmes, so please refer to your country page for further details)
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 12 July 2018
- Meet the Chevening English language requirement by 12 July 2018
You are not eligible for a Chevening Award if you:
- Hold British or dual British citizenship (unless you are a citizen of a British Overseas Territory or hold BN(O) and are applying from Hong Kong)
- Are an employee, a former employee, or relative of an employee (since July 2015) of Her Majesty’s Government (including British Embassies/High Commissions, the Department for International Development, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, Department for International Trade, the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office), the British Council, or a staff member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities. Employees, former employees, or relatives of an employee (since July 2015) of Chevening Partner organisations are eligible to apply, but cannot receive a Chevening/Partner Award from the organisation for which they work, previously worked, or are affiliated with through relatives.
- (Note: Immediate relatives are defined as parents or step-parents, siblings or step-siblings, children or step-children, spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner (where the couple have been in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least two years)
- Have previously studied in the UK with funding from a UK Government-funded scholarship. However, if you have previously studied under a UK Government-funded scholarship (including Chevening), you may be eligible to apply for a Chevening Fellowship five years after completion of your initial UK Government-funded scholarship.
Once submitted, applications undergo an electronic sift against our eligibility criteria. Any applications deemed ineligible will be removed from the selection process. Please note that once your application has been submitted, it is not possible to change it retrospectively.
After you have applied for a Chevening Scholarship
To find out what happens once you’ve submitted your application, please refer to the application timeline.
If you are selected for an interview, please refer to our interview guidance.
Remember, if you are invited to an interview, you will be required to submit two complete references via the online application system no later than 26 February 2018. If you have not submitted your documentation by this deadline, you will be unable to proceed with an interview.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should visit http://www.chevening.org/apply