This is a community service award scheme sponsored by Global Shapers- Abuja Hub and Selfless 4Africa Inc. It will be focused on developing young people in our communities and exposing the youth to community service initiatives. The participating tertiary institutions students are expected to form a team of 3 to 5 students, which must have a team name and slogan.
The scheme will encourage the youth of Nigeria to believe in themselves, cultivate the spirit of volunteerism, community service and patriotism. The teams from the various tertiary institutions are expected to choose a deprived community in Nigeria, identify a project that can be implemented to benefit the community at large, and present a proposal focused on developing/empowering people within that community.
The winning team will have a package $3,500 ($2,500 to implement the community project and $1,000 for participants of the winning team on successful completion of the project).
ABOUT Global Shapers- Abuja Hub
The Global Shapers Community is a network of city-based Hubs developed and led by young leaders between 20 and 30 years old who want to develop their leadership potential towards serving society. To that end, Hubs undertake local projects to improve their communities of which the Abuja hub has grown to become a visible force in this area within the capital city of Nigeria –Abuja-.
Shapers are highly motivated individuals who have a great potential for future leadership roles in society. They are selected on the basis of their achievements, leadership potential, and commitment to make a difference. Through the Global Shapers Community, Shapers are provided with opportunities to connect with the worldwide network of Global Shapers, to network with other World Economic Forum communities, and to represent the voice of youth at World Economic Forum events. Shapers are united by a common desire to channel the members’ tremendous energy and enthusiasm into building a more peaceful and inclusive world.
ABOUT SELFLESS4AFRICA INC.
Selfless4Africa Inc. (www.selfless4africa.org) is an NGO whose focus is to uplift Africa’s poor image and change Africa’s future one life at a time and inspire acts of selflessness in others.
Its vision is to be a catalyst for a peaceful, loving, collaborative the world where people of different persuasions are proactive in reducing the plight of the underprivileged and where all children are able to attain formal primary and secondary school education, regardless of their family’s income and status.
Selfless4Africa Inc. believes that while individual acts of selflessness may touch the life of one person or one community, the sum of these individual acts can impact an entire nation. Accordingly, our programs are structured to encourage our beneficiaries to pay forward these selfless efforts by volunteering to help another person or community in need.
The scheme will be facilitated by Global Shapers- Abuja Hub members, with oversight by Selfless for Africa.
PURPOSE OF COMPETITION
1. To encourage young people cultivate the spirit of volunteerism, community service and patriotism.
2. To encourage young people to become change agents within their communities.
3. To instill in young people the spirit of volunteerism, community service and patriotism.
CRITERIA FOR PARTICIPANTING TERTIARY INSTITUTION
1. Participating institution must be based in Nigeria.
2. Participants from participating tertiary institution must be registered university students.
3. Participants from participating tertiary institution must have an interest in community service and service to humanity.
PROCEDURE FOR PARTICIPATING TERTIARY INSTITUTION
1. Identify a community in Nigeria that needs support.
2. Fill a community service application form on Global Shapers Abuja hub site.
3. Download Team Information and Endorsment form here, fill, scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org with scanned copy of all team members student ID card.
PART B (ONLY SHORTLISTED INSTITUTIONS)
The three shortlisted institutions will present their proposal in a face-to-face presentation using pictures and videos. Give reasons why Global Shapers- Abuja Hub and Selfless4Africa should support their project.
BENEFITS TO WINNING UNIVERSITIES
1. Receive $3,500 ($2,500 to implement the community project and $1,000 for participants of the winning team).
2. Showcase of groups efforts across the sponsor’s communication channels (websites, fundraising events etc.).
3. Souvenirs from Selfless4 Africa and other partners.
4. A plaque.
1. A plaque.
2. Souvenirs from Selfless4 Africa and other partners.
DISBURSEMENT OF FUNDS
Please disbursement of funds will be made in installment through the duration of the project and based on evidence of progress of project.