The Ohanaeze Ndigbo has described the quit notice given to the Igbo by the Arewa youths as a call for the dissolution of Nigeria.
It stressed that the declaration of the Arewa youths to deal with the Igbo in the North after the expiration of the October 1, 2017 amounted to a declaration of war.
The President General of the socio-cultural organisation, Chief Nnia Nwodo, made the comment in a statement on Thursday, while reacting to the hate song against the Igbo, which is trending in the northern part of the country.
The Ohanaeze leader, who warned of grave consequences, also accused the Federal Government of bias for allowing the threat to continue without any action.
inRead invented by Teads
He added that the call of the Arewa youths for an inventory of the assets of Nigerians living in the North amounted to a planned robbery of people’s property.
“The current Hausa hate song trending on the social media is despicable, sad and disappointing. Ohanaeze is appalled that prominent leaders in the North, with the exception of a few, have allowed this development to flourish without reproach.
“The Arewa youths have stoked the embers of hatred to a discomforting temperature. The toleration of their criminal conduct has portrayed the Federal Government as biased and unfair.
“Their quit notice to fellow Nigerians to leave any part of Nigeria strikes at the fundamental rights of citizenship; it is a call for the dissolution of the country. Their call for an inventory and seizure of assets of Nigerians living in the North is conversion. It amounts to daylight robbery of lawful property.
“The declaration of mop up action after October 1st, 2017 to deal with those who resist their quit notice order is a declaration of war. It is surprising that on top of all these, a hate song calling for more hatred, despise and ‘abortion’ has been allowed to fester. Yet, no one is arrested.”
Meanwhile, the Federal Government has said it is planning to enact a law that will criminalise hate speech in the country, the Minister of Interior, Lt. Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (retd.), has said.
Dambazau, who was a former chief of army staff, said a draft of the proposed bill had already been submitted to the ministry of justice.
The ministry, it was gathered, was putting finishing touches to the proposed bill before it would send it to the National Assembly by the Federal Government as an executive bill.
The minister spoke with journalists at the national secretariat of the ruling All Progressives Congress in Abuja on Wednesday night.